About the integration
Companies looking for digital transformation need to set up their teams for success. Modern development teams can release faster using an innovative suite of testing solutions. The integration with Xray and Functionize fits seamlessly into agile Jira workflows and incorporates AI/ML to speed up testing.
The Xray-Functionize integration provides you with easy creation of automated tests, more visibility into testing results, and the capacity to increase team collaboration. You can quickly integrate Functionize with Xray regardless of whether it is deployed on Cloud, Data Center, or Server. Functionize is available in the cloud and can also be installed on-premise.
The main benefits of the Xray and Functionize integration
- Rapidly create automated tests. Tests take minutes to create using Architect, the test automation tool from Functionize — no code required. Build complex end-to-end tests to test the UI, API, databases, file exports, and two-factor authentication (SMS, Email). You can even do visual verifications using computer vision to make sure your application looks as expected.
- Self-healing tests powered by AI. Reduce test maintenance hours with Functionize. Machine learning uses big data to learn from your application. This allows tests to keep up with UI changes, and tests self heal with 99.9% accuracy. Fewer broken tests mean you can dedicate more time to automating even more tests!
- Increase visibility. Unlimited access to Functionize maximizes visibility for your teams to dig into automated test details. Two-way fields and hyperlinks allow you to easily see linked information from both tools and jump back and forth between them.
- Comprehensive reporting. Leverage reporting capabilities with Xray detailed test coverage and traceability reports. Get full visibility of automated test results and ensure all requirements are met within Jira. With your test runs linked to your requirements you have full traceability to ensure no requirement gets left behind.
- Maximum collaboration. Increase team collaboration by centralizing your tests in Xray. When you track all test results from Xray, you can get testing feedback from different team members and make quality decisions together.
- Reduce infrastructure overhead. The Functionize Test Cloud equips teams to perform functional and visual tests all within a single platform, eliminating the need for teams to build and maintain their own testing infrastructure. You can scale tens of thousands of tests to run in parallel from any geography or browser, including mobile browsers.
Traditional automated testing becomes expensive to maintain
Scripting automated tests can be laborious, time-consuming, and expensive as it demands skilled automation engineers and requires even more communication and collaboration in cross-functional teams. Test scripts need to be rewritten for every browser or device, slowing down the speed of test creation. Also, test maintenance becomes a dominant part of a tester’s time.
Automated tests need to be updated anytime there’s a UI change. This leads to a lot of time spent maintaining existing tests, which prevents testers from automating more areas of their application. Automated testing is supposed to speed things up, but in many cases, it slows down testing due to the ongoing maintenance burden.
Automated tests create a “black hole” and block transparency
Traditional automated scripts are notoriously difficult to track. Even if you understand how to code, you may not understand the particular test framework. This means that when a test fails, it’s difficult to decide whether it needs to be fixed before the release. This also means that it’s challenging to know which areas of the application have automated tests already, versus which areas still need to be automated. Quality is supposed to be a shared responsibility; however, the lack of transparency makes it hard to make these decisions together.
Accelerate test automation and create transparency with Xray and Functionize
With Xray and Functionize, teams can quickly create, run and report smart tests with total control over the entire process to release quality software with confidence.
Functionize reconnects product teams, developers, and quality engineers by enabling them all to participate in the testing process. Tests take just minutes to create (no code required), run across browsers and self-heal with UI or structural changes. This modern approach to testing allows testers to quickly increase their automation coverage without wasting precious time to test maintenance.
Teams can also save test cloud infrastructure costs. The Functionize Test Cloud allows tests to be run at scale (up to tens of thousands at the same time) from any location. This allows you to run localized tests to mimic the experience of your global end-users.
Xray and Functionize help enterprise teams track and report testing activities from a central place.
Link Functionize tests into Xray to get total coverage and easily manage all testing across even the most complex applications. Xray serves as the source of truth for testing activities across all applications, even if you use more than one automation tool.
Use detailed traceability reports to find and fix what went wrong with test failures and easily collaborate with developers. This allows your whole team to focus on delivering bug-free software faster and more efficiently.
How it works
Automate Xray manual tests linked to stories/requirements by using Architect to create the test in Functionize. After a test is automated with Functionize, test results can be triggered manually from the Funcionize orchestration. This creates a Test Execution in Xray. You can create complex orchestrations using the linked tests to run across different browsers, run tests in parallel or sequential order, or even data-drive your tests with TDM.
These test results can be pushed automatically to Xray to have full visibility of orchestration results. Alternatively, you can push tests on demand (ad hoc) after you’ve reviewed any failures from Functionize. This allows you to have more control over the results passed to Xray and simplify reporting. Finally, build detailed reports for both manual and automated tests in Xray and increase your team's collaboration and visibility.
Anyone who wants to view test details can click on the Functionize link. The Functionize test results show test step details, including screenshots, and access into the developer console to view cookies and network calls. There’s no need for a license to see this information since Functionize subscriptions are charged on the number of executions.
The integration between Xray and Functionize provides:
- Automation of existing manual tests by using AI/ML.
- Links between automated Functionize tests and Xray manual tests.
- Creation of complex test suites with Functionize orchestrations.
- Visibility of Functionize test results in Xray.
- Test coverage and Traceability reports built from a single source.
Gain more visibility into automated test results
Stop wasting time fixing broken tests from complex and expensive automation processes. The Xray-Functionize integration empowers your teams to build smart tests that heal on their own and increase their collaboration with full visibility among testing results and detailed reports that can be built with Xray and Jira as a single source of truth.
Want to see how the Xray-Functionize integration works? On October 28th at 4pm BST, together with Functionize, we’re hosting a webinar called “Accelerate test automation with Xray and Functionize.”
Join us and learn how to:
- Link Functionize tests to Xray manual tests for traceability from the original Jira requirement
- Plan orchestrations to be run at scale in the Functionize Test Cloud
- View execution results in Xray with details in browser, environment, etc
- Align execution results to specific Test Plans and Fix Versions
- Build comprehensive traceability and coverage reports in Xray for manual and automated tests
Functionize is an intelligent software testing platform for teams of all sizes and skillsets. They combine the power of human insights with machine learning and other AI-based technologies to dramatically reduce the time and cost spent in testing while accelerating product releases.
As a fast-growing start-up, Functionize dramatically accelerates development by reducing the time to create, execute, and maintain tests. They remove the need for teams to manage testing infrastructure, seamlessly integrating with CI/CD, boosting software quality through production.
Learn more about the Xray-Functionize integration.